Sunday, December 02, 2007

Rule #1

Amy's Scrapbooking Rules


- wait a minute, did I just say RULES??? In the creative arena are there are supposed to be rules???


Rule #1 - There are no rules


Example:

Many people think that it's a rule that you HAVE to scrap Lignin and Acid free.

Now HOW can anyone think that a scrapbook - a major portion of which is PAPER - can possibly be saved for ever and ever and ever?

If you save your negatives, if you archive your digital files, if you do all you can to safely keep all the original photos, then why does it matter if you have to reprint the photo sometime in the future?

And, lastly, just think how LIMITING it is to eliminate all the found items that come into your life, just because they might be acidic or heaven forbid, have lignin? Do you even remember what lignin is? I've forgotten.

Let's put it this way... If I worried about acid & lignin I would have never created this:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Or this

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Or even this

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

How about you? Is there anything you would not have created? Leave me a post - or, just so we can all see it, upload on IL2C's gallery :)

4 comments:

quod2 said...

I agree with you about things not being saved "forever", but, as a person who has archival scrapbooks, I disagree that there is not a reason to do this.

I have ANCIENT photos with no negatives that have been passed down through generations. Yes, I can scan them and keep them "digitally"...but printing them with modern technology will not be the same. I realize that neither the scrapbook nor the photos will last forever. However, I want to preserve them for future generations for as long as I can...rather than have them floating in the attics and basements where they were once kept (and some damaged).

Having said that, I also have scrapbooks like yours. These I create with my modern photos that I do have backup for...however, some of these, special ones, professional ones I also make archival albums for.

It makes me sad that people debate this. It reminds of inter-faith debates. In my humble opinion there is room for both.

LOVE YOUR WORK!!! Mary

SALTZWORKS said...

You've got me there Mary :)

I just don't scrap the photo unless it is a copy. Probably because my books are all meant for a lot of handling - I've even had an icecream event that ruined an entire book.

You do make me think about what to do to preserve the old photos though. That's one thing I've never done either - my mother is the geneaologist - I geuss I'll leave that to her for now.

jadadog said...

oh my...My albums would be EMPTY I tell ya! I am all about the art of creating, more than preserving the photo. I guess I should rethink it, but then that might make it a chore and no fun!

Rachael said...

Love these layouts!!

I just use whatever I want to use too!! With the digital technology these days, I can easily reprint pics if I need to!