Friday, September 17, 2010

Excitement

Remember when, probably as a kid, but hopefully as an adult too, you were so excited about something that you could hardly breathe?

I'm having a bit of that in triplicate this week.

So, what have I been up to that has me more excited than working on the Summer Reading programming did a few months ago?

1st- I was awarded an employee award yesterday. My incredible co-workers nominated me and I was given a beautiful trophy along with a bit of monetary thank-you. I honestly work with some of the most incredible people. I would be nothing without their constant help. The only reason I got the award is because I had their support to get there.

2nd- I've been taking a writing class at the local college (one of the local colleges) and although it makes me feel ancient, I am having the time of my life! It's nerve wracking, tense and oh so much FUN! Even better than the class are the people I get to work with, in particular author Rick Walton. This guy is amazing. Ask any Utah childrens author, of whom I hope to join in their ranks soon.
...little side note here, Rick, being the brainaic that he is, is starting a literary agency for professional storytellers - in particular, working with the giants of storytelling and getting them published as picture book authors. I get to help! Rock Canyon Literary...

3rd- (oh, but certainly NOT the least)- I am studying (with a professor at the other local college) script and text analysis. I was introduced to the concept last February at the Timpanogos Storytelling Midwinter Conference. It was a life-changing experience. You might ask what script and text analysis is? Well, it's simply the most incredible way of breaking down a script or text (actually just about ANYTHING that has a story) and being able to really know and pinpoint what makes a story work or not work.

Where am I going with all of this? I am a bit unsure at this point, all I do know is that the moon is looking mighty close right now and even if I just land in the stars I'll be there with a huge smile on my face.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Well deserved on the customer service award, and you are always excited about something, my friend! That's what makes you you! You're an inspiration to everyone around you. I'm happy to know you and have you for a friend and co-worker. Can't believe you're not all excited about swimming! :D

Unknown said...

FANTASTIC NEWS!! May it be only the beginning!

SALTZWORKS said...

hah, Suzanne - its the breathing in conjunction with swimming that is the challenge I've never overcome.
Sure do miss working with you in Childrens instead of just saying hi in Cric.