Sunday, June 01, 2008

Video Test

here goes...

I am testing out video uploads...

This test , if it works, will be a video of Lex at a very traumatic moment in her young life.
To read the story, read below.

Money OR Things, you can't have both dear.

Photobucket
edit - okay, so I've not figured it out yet - still having computer problems too! Urgh.

I take my motherhood responsiblities rather seriously and often look for teaching moments. Having raised 2 boys already, I know some of what to expect, but certainly not all!

On our recent trip back East I thought it would be a good time to teach Lex about money. For the trip I 'paid' her 1.00 a day for good behavior. The idea was to give her varying denominations of coin that added up to a dollar each day and a by-product was that she would have some spending money.

I also had a secret agenda, which I will reveal in a moment.

On the day we went to the Boston Science Museum, we were in the gift shop, perusing all the very cool stuff they have there for kids (and kids at heart). I had just made a few purchases when Lex decided that she wanted a necklace that you can make there. I had already paid, so I told her that she could use her own money for it if she really wanted it. She did.

Now, as we walked out of the store, (and this is what I was secretly waiting for) Lex all of a sudden realized that the necklace had cost her ALL of her money. I was rather tough-luck on her and told her that she could have THINGS or MONEY, but she could not afford both.

Oh the TEARS! The TRAUMA! She wanted to return that necklace immediately. Well, we had walked a ways by then and we had left the store at closing time. So, no luck for Lex, she was stuck with the necklace. It took hours for her to finally calm down. Finally I pulled out the video camera while we are at dinner, outside of Boston and she is still crying.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Glad to have you back!!! Poor Lex, I know her sadness :)

I pay my daughter too for being good every day... she gets .25 a day. I think I might have to do a cost of living raise. She is quite a shopper, it can take her a half hour to decide which polly pocket to buy!

I hope you are feeling better.

Stacy said...

yeah I feel for you Lex, thats a lesson that is learned over and over again.